28 February 2006

the left side

during plant ecology practical today, the lab boss asked for volunteers to drive vans for our field trips. she specifically asked me (i was in a different room getting my hand lens so was walking into the discussion half way through), and wanted to know if i had a license.

"yes, but i don't think anyone wants to drive with me"

i'm the only international in the class and she informed me that my usa drivers license was good for the first twelve months i'm here.

"well, yes, but i don't think you'd want to drive on the left side of the road with me"

general laughter and agreement with that sentiment.

[although, i must say, that i would like to try it out at some point while i'm here. and that, proudly, i'm getting used to walking on the left side of the sidewalk and looking right before crossing roads. i almost got hit by a taxi the other night, but no real disasters (yet)]

No comments: